User Manual and FAQ¶
- User Manual and FAQ
- Simulating BrainAmp Data
Starting the NeuroTransmitter¶
After downloading the NeutroTransmitter from the Files section, unpack the zip-file and click on NeuroTransmitter.exe in the NeuroTransmitter-folder. No installation is required.
This section explains how to set up the communication of the NeutroTransmitter with the EEG devices.
Receiving data from Emotiv EPOC¶
Before you can use this device with the NeutroTransmitter, you have to copy the following files in the NeutroTransmitter-folder:
Please note that EEG-raw-data-enabled versions of this files are required, see section System Requirements. The files can be found in the installation directory of the Emotiv Development Kit.
Receiving data form BrainVision BrainAmp¶
To receive data from this device, the BrainVision Recoder software provided by the manufacturer must be used. To activate the communication with the NeutroTransmitter, the RDA server of the BrainVision Recorder must be enabled. Please check the section "Remote data access" of the BrainVision Recorder manual for further information.
This section provides an overview of the usage of the NeutroTransmitter.
In this tab the connections between the EEG-devices and the clients are started and stopped.
- Device: Choose either Emotiv EPOC or BrainVision BrainAmp
- Stream: Choose the desired protocol for data transmission to client(s)
- Status: Displays the status of the connection
Note that TCP transmission is only supported for Emotiv EPOC devices.
This tab is used to configure connections to client(s) and the quantity of outgoing samples. Settings can only be modified, if no connection is active.
All settings are stored to a file settings.xml in the NeutroTransmitter-folder each time the program is closed. On startup the data is restored.
- History: Contains past connection settings for TCP. By clicking on an entry, the fields "IP Address" and "Port" will be filled.
- IP Address: IPv4 Address of the receiver, e.g. the address 127.0.0.1 can be used to send data to the localhost on the same computer.
- Port: Port where the client expects the data.
Multiple clients in the same network can receive data from the NeutroTransmitter by setting broadcast or multicast IP addresses.
See section TCP for "IP Address" and "Port".
Quantity of outgoing samples¶
The quantity of outgoing samples(sampling rate) the NeutroTransmitter is sending over time can be set in this section.
- Samples per second: Frequency in Hertz (Hz). Please check the sampling rate set in the used Workspace of the BrainVision Recorder software. If this sample rate is set lower then "Samples per second", the NeutroTransmitter will forward the data with the sample rate set in the BrainVision Recorder to avoid oversampling effects.
- Downsampling rate: The factor (integer number) by which the number of samples forwarded from this device are reduced, e.g. 1: forward every sample, 3: forward every third sample.
Send markers (BrainVision BrainAmp only)¶
BrainVision BrainAmp devices offer the possibility to mark a signal with event markers and annotations. Both will be referenced as markers in this document.
The NeutroTransmitter offers the following possibilities to handle the forwarding of markers:
- No: don't forward markers.
- As Integer: forward markers as integer. If the NeutroTransmitter is not able to convert the marker description to an integer, it will be forwarded as string.
- As String: forward markers as string.
Section OSC-Format contains an example.
Displays informations about the NeutroTransmitter:
- In the current version of the NeutroTransmitter, it is not possible to forward data from more then one Emotiv EPOC device attached to the same computer.
- It is not possible to forward data from an BrainVision BrainAmp and Emotiv EPOC device at the same time.
- TCP transmission is only supported for Emotiv EPOC devices.
- Data sent to the localhost can only be received by one client on the same computer. It is up to this client to forward the data to another client on the same computer, if required.
The NeutroTransmitter forwards data in the following format as OSC Bundle:
- OSC Address Pattern: /emotiv/sensor_name for Emotiv EPOC, /brainproducts/sensor_name and /brainproducts/marker for BrainVision BrainAmp devices, where sensor_name is replaced by the name of the sensor.
- OSC Type Tag String: e.g. f for float32 for EEG-values
- OSC Arguments: EEG-values
/brainproducts/marker i200 /brainproducts/Fz f-2.2118413 /brainproducts/Cz f-13.335322 /brainproducts/P3 f-13.234718 /brainproducts/Pz f-1.9943913 /brainproducts/P4 f10.960234 /brainproducts/O1 f14.766227 /brainproducts/O2 f6.232124 /brainproducts/EOGv f-7.485917
Please note /brainproducts/marker is optional and can have one integer or string argument. Please see section Send markers for more information about markers.
For Emotiv EPOC devices the NeutroTransmitter offers the possibility to forward data based on the TCP protocol: the data of all sensors received simultaneously is joined to one string separated with a tab-symbol (\t). Each set of data (from all sensors) is forwarded individuality. Sensor names are not included in the TCP string. The following ordering is used: AF3, AF4, F7, F3, F4, F8, FC5, FC6, T7, T8, P7, P8, O1, O2, GYROX, GYROY.
System Requirements¶The NeutroTransmitter is compiled for Windows systems and is compatible with the following devices:
- BrainVision BrainAmp: The BrainVision Recorder software version 1.10 or higher required.
- Emotiv EPOC: Only owners of a Developer, Research or Enterprise (Plus) Edition of the Emotiv SDK hold a license to access EEG-data and are thus are able to use the NeutroTransmitter.
Simulating BrainAmp Data¶
It is possible to simulate data for BrainVision BrainAmp devices. Please open the BrainVision Recorder software, go to Configuration/Select Amplifier and select Simulated Amplifier. On Windows 7 it is necessary to start the software with administrator rights to enable this feature.
Q. I get the error-message: "Could not initialize Emotiv.". What should I do?
A. Please ensure that the required dll-files are in the NeutroTransmitter-folder as described in section Receiving data from Emotiv EPOC. If the required files are in place and the problem persists, the connection with this headset should be checked using the software provided by the manufacturer.
Q. When I close the NeuroTransmitter, I get the error-message: "Settings could not be saved.". Why?
A. The NeuroTrasmitter was not able to write the settings to the hard drive. This can have various reasons, e.g. missing write permissions in the NeutroTransmitter-folder or a full hard drive.
Please send bug reports, feedback and suggestions to email@example.com